Friday, November 16, 2007

Time Away from Cars Will Do That

Today my partner and I used her truck to take our new cat to the vet. Unfortunately, our vet's office is a good 7 miles away and requires driving through some serious cross-town traffic. Since I rarely travel by car, I noticed a few things that I normally have the privilege of ignoring.

1) Many people in LA do very stupid, high-risk things when they drive around town. Bicyclists normally complain about drivers paying more attention to their cell-phone conversations than to their surroundings. That and raw aggression are the things that scare cyclists the most. Today's stupidity on the road was illuminating on a completely different level: cars running red lights just to make it ahead by two car-lengths or expensive sports cars cutting off large trucks. I wonder if they think they are bulletproof.

2) The WGA strike is bad. We drove by Fox Studios on Pico and just seeing all of these people who are out of work because of a contract dispute was so sad. There's a big difference between reading about a strike and seeing the people involved. I hope it ends soon.

Needless to say, I've never felt so alien in a vehicle. Time away will do that.

-----

In unrelated news, something fundamental has changed in the last 24 hours. Yesterday, I was a musicology student working in Schoenberg Music Building. Today, I get to add another famous musician when I talk about the fundamentals of doing my research: I am a musicology student in Herb Alpert School of Music working in Schoenberg Music Building. I'm still not sure what all of this means, but damn!

No comments: