Thursday, November 29, 2007

Bikes & Sound Systems

From today's NYT: Bicycles That Carry Powerful Beats, and Even A Rider or Two. Seeing that I am currently on a long research visit to a country where bicycles carry all sorts of improbable things (i.e. matresses, ice, boxes of groceries, supplies, clothinng on hangers, etc.), I don't really know how to respond to such coverage by the NYT. Now that I think about it, this probably deserves a more lengthy exegesis after I've had some time to consider it as a cyclist/musicologist studying in a BRIC country whose economy is experiencing a huge growth spurt. (Don't even get me started on a recent demeaning picture of cargo-carrying bicycles from Time that announced the iPhone as the "Best Invention of 2007" –– I'll just start throwing things at you.)

---------

In other news I discovered that there is a church for Brazil's infamous Igreja Universal near my apartment tonight when I heard a huge crowd singing their praises. Aside from being involved in controversies like money laundering and fraud, the Igreja Universal is known for being staunchly against all spiritual elements from Africa (which, by the way, are a strong but unofficial part of Catholic practice here). For whatever reason, their music is both overwhelming and boring. It isn't surprising that I much prefered my previous situation where I was living next to a Catholic school.

No comments: